Serves 6 – 8
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
30ml cake flour
500g button mushrooms, sliced
80ml white wine
1.25L chicken stock
1 potato, cut into cubes
3 sprigs thyme
150g ground, fine biltong
salt and milled black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, butter and flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add the white wine. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, potatoes and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, cream and biltong and season to taste. Simmer for 2 – 3 minutes.